’06 Evo IX MR Track Build

2006 Evo IX MR Track (Formerly STU) Build:

  • Wicked White
  • Turbocharged 2.0L
  • AWD
  • 6 Speed Manual
  • Recaro Seats & Buschur Racing Harness Bar w/ Schroth Harnesses
  • JDM Headlights & HIDs
  • 17×8 BBS & 17×9.5 TC105Ns
  • as of 2018, 18×9.5 +34 Volk CE28N
  • as of 2019, 18×9.5 +28 Volk CE28N

Engine & Power Modifications:

Drivetrain, Suspension & Handling Modifications:

Brakes:

Misc:

Like going from the ’08 Mini to the ’13 Mini, I have done similar going from one ’06 Evo to another. I started life with an ’06 TB IX GSR – a 5 speed black Evo. However, my ideal car was a White IX MR – which I finally got the opportunity for a mint version. I swapped over a few goodies from my old Evo and bid her goodbye. After the shop had swapped the rear diff my old car into this one (and stripped it), it sat for a long, long time – all throughout 2013 and most of 2014 while I campaigned the Mini. However, I finally got the necessary pieces repaired, things have been tweaked & modified, and the car is ready for action. Below is the history of the general changes the Evo has seen over the last few years:

2014 Season: Ohlins, stock bars, WL bushings. Car was very pushy. Added ER ACD tune, which helped turn-in tremendously, but still some kind of mechanical pushiness.

2015 Season: Purchased ciro caster plates and whiteline RSB to fix the push. Turned out the shop installed the coilover springs at 10/8 instead of 8/10. Added all of those and corrected the spring rates, and the car was extremely loose, biting me in mid slalom & transitions.

2016 Season: Added Tanabe FSB, new tires, and cranked up the shocks. Car is now much more neutral. Tanabe FSB added more push, particularly in tight corners. Car still feels unstable though in slaloms, but overall way better. At the end of the season I increased the front camber from -2.7 to -3.3, which helped mid-corner grip a good deal. The later half of the season was dominated by hunting a brakes issue, first was caused by wearing out brakes on track, then due to titanium shims that didn’t work right.

2017 Season: On the new 17×9.5 setup. Picked up roughly/up to 1s over the old 17×8 stock wheel setup. Car is not as loose as in 2015, maybe even starting to push a little more. RSB ran on medium, alignment was -3.3, -1.9 otherwise, with a touch of toe out in the rear. Tune was adjusted to allow quicker engine braking off throttle, as the deceleration was still not up to where I wanted to be – leading to me swapping the brakes for 2018.

2018 Season: Swapped over the off-season to Evo X brakes for larger rotors as well as CE28N’s in 18×9.5. Car felt good, but the weight from the wheel & brake setup was evident. RSB set to stiff to counter the push. The setup for the Evo was shifting to track, with ST43  brake pads and a Racefab wet sump in addition to prevent oil starve. A Maperformance Setrab Oil cooler was added for better oil cooling, a STM front crash beam for strength and minor weight savings, and an Evo 8 wing, as the Evo 9 wings are hollow inside and can bend at high speed. Belts were all updated to Gates belts this year, as well as an STM alternator pulley that is 10% underdriven, wears the alternator less, and has higher rails so the belt can’t jump off at high RPMs. Was on RT615k+, may still be on them for 2019, but they are no good in terms of steering & grip.

  • Autobahn South: 1:43.8
  • Autobahn Country Club Full: 2:53.06

2019 Season: The OS Giken differential swap & the larger rear sway bar are both part of an effort to shift the Evo’s balance towards neutral. Those are the two largest changes, with minor updates for everything else. I am switching to the RE71Rs after I do some 1-for-1 comparisons with the new differential on both track configurations. The new wheels are on their way, the very last batch of CE28N’s to be produced. I am going with the 18×9.5 +28 offset, which is nearly identical to my 18×9.5 +34 offset. With a tiny bit more poke out, I run the risk of rubbing with the rear fenders, but given the current sizing, I should be okay. The current set is extremely close to the inside suspension, and with some movement I imagine is making contact at certain points/loads. The new set should somewhat fix that.

2019:

Weight (with driver ballast 180)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s